Please send suggestions to Steve Barwick at
- Goals of the workshop: what do we want to achieve?
- What are the primary science missions for ICECUBE?
- Neutrino Astronomy
- AGNs which emit high energy gamma rays
- Galactic sources
- Diffuse AGN emission
- Neutrino Oscillations at 1 TeV
- What are secondary science missions?
- WIMP search from sun and earth
- Neutrino emission from gamma ray bursts
- Supernova detector and participation in world network
- charm contribution to prompt muon flux
- New and/or long range ideas
- Low energy neutrinos from radioactivity in earth
- proton decay
- How do we prioritize science objectives
- ICECUBE is best for 100 GeV to 10 TeV energy scales
- ICECUBE energy response enhanced for TeV-PeV scale cascades
- Radio detection of Cherenkov may be better for >PeV
- Super-Kamiokande is best for MeV-GeV energy scales
- What are the detector requirements to achieve each science priority
- Effective Area vs zenith angle
- Effective Area vs Energy
- Angular resolution vs zenith angle
- Energy resolution and energy threshold
- OM/String architecture
- Analog signals via optical fiber
- Analog signals via twisted pair and cable compensation
- Digital OMs
- Simplex vs multiplex channels
- Clustered or Centralized signal processing stations
- Photomultiplier tubes
- What size?
- Wavelength shifters
- Modified SNO hardware
- Waveform digitization
- Trigger requirements and architecture
- What is presently known, and what do we need to know?
- What is the time scale to answer the important questions?
- Who is going to do the work?
- Ice properties between 1200m and 2400m
- Hole ice optical properties
- Strawman detector
- Angular resolution
- up-down rejection
- Effective area
- High energy aspects of ICECUBE array
- Energy calibration
- Can we really identify double-bang events
- What is response of the array to 10^20 eV events?
- Low energy response
- Atmospheric neutrinos as background and potential signal
- Identification of electron and muon neutrinos
- How do we calibrate angular sensitivity and energy threshold?
- Technology improvements on reconstruction
- Individual photon ID
- Complete waveform recording
- Increased dynamic range
ICECUBE Specific Details
- String/OM Position calibration
- Energy calibration methods
- Timing calibrations
- Pointing resolution
- Automation of calibration procedures
Coordination with surface detectors
- Design philosophy: simplicity vs complexity
- Logistics at the south pole
- Coordination with new station construction
- Data analysis and archiving
- Integration with existing support structures
- The National Science Foundation
- Polar Ice Coring Office
- Antarctic Support Associates
- Deep-Ice STC?
- International Antarctic Observatory?
Complementary detector systems
- SPASE, EAS, and VULCAN air cherenkov arrays
- Center for Astrophysics in Antarctica (CARA)
Assignment of writing/simulation responsibilities
- RICE (Radio detection of neutrino showers)
- New ideas to extend high energy response or enhance low energy
- Action items
- Identification of key results we need for proposal
What is the next step?
- Memorandum of Understanding
- Who is interesting in doing what
- Resources available
- Personnel and financial commitment
- US vs European time scales
- Preparation of preliminary proposal during next 6 months
- Date and location of the next workshop